Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A letter from Salvador Dalí to Pablo Picasso




Dearest Pablo,


"Oh mon ami, à quel point je me rappelle notre beau déjeuner à Paris. Comme je fier suis de vous appeler ami."

My French is still so rough, but oh, it was a grand time, was it not?  Perhaps, when I am in Paris again, we shall dine together at Maxim's.  I will look forward to that with great anticipation.

Much has happened since then, and I must tell you that time has left a ballet within my mind; a breathless vision enchanting every thought and color I can imagine.  My candle burned through each night as I amused myself with the rendez-vous between designer platforms on the left bank at Montmaertre and the colorful riposte of an artist's insult to those who laugh at my pallet of dripping paint.

I find I have no time for the finer amenities and my patience thins with those fools who cannot see as you would see the metaphor of my art.

However, results abound as I am to introduce "The Persistence of Memory", the offspring of such cumbersome thoughts all these months.  I wanted you to be the first to know of it as I have idolized your influence for so long and must thank you for the air you have given that I might breathe within its colors. 

In the next weeks, I travel to America where such rebels adore my "clocks."  They are an odd people, pretending nobility in a handshake while reciting their heritage; as if they are anything other than American.  I will share the unveiling of its title upon my arrival as it seems fitting to their culture.

Until we meet again my friend, wish me fair sail. 

Most respectfully yours,




Salvadore










Pamela A. Lamppa
Copyright © 2013
all rights reserved



Author's Notes:

WORD BANK:

Montmartre, Left bank, Ballet, Enchanting, Breathless, Dejeuner, Candle,
Riposte, Maxim's,Designer, Amuse, Rendez-vous

French Translation:

Oh my friend, how well I remember our beautiful luncheon in Paris.  How proud I am to call you friend.

Key references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Persistence_of_Memory

No comments: